Historical Archaeological Museum “Giuseppe Gabetti”
Opening days and hours
Saturday 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Sundays from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Piazza San Paolo 10
12063 Dogliani (CN)
Tel. 0173.70107 0173.70210
You should call to make sure the museum is open. Guided tours can be booked.
This is a museum dedicated to the history of Dogliani and its area. It dates back to the seventies of the last century following the occasional discovery near the Church of San Quirico in Dogliani already known in the 17th century for some epigraphic finds of some burials from Roman times including a tomb with a rich set of glasses and ceramics dating back to the first century AD .
Thanks to the Association “Amici del Museo” the Museum opened in 1983 and it is named after Giuseppe Gabetti 81886-1948) an important Germanist and citizen of Dogliani. Over the years, the museum’s collections have increased thanks of the collaboration of the citizen that have reported and handed to the Museum historical and archeological finds. Among the discoveries, a sandstone hand datable to Iron Age.
The Museum is located in the Palazzo Comunale. Today the new layout of the museum has a larger location in the rooms on the first floor, in a seventeenth-century wing of the monastic complex of the Convento del Carmine.
The Museum tour has illustrative panels in Italian and English of Dogliani and its territory including different historical periods from the Neolithic to the Bronze and Iron Age, from Roman age and Middle Ages.
The Museum has four rooms and frequently hosts temporary art exhibitions organized by the association “Amici del Museo”.